Prep time: 30 minutes. Cook time: about 2 hours marinating. Serves 3-4. Substitute with a soft fish of your liking if you prefer. Be sure to marinate protein until opaque and cooked through from the citrus. If using shrimp, it’s important to flash steam them until just pink before marinating.
* 1 cup bay scallops
* 1 cup lightly steamed and chopped shrimp
* 2 green cubanelle peppers sliced paper thin
* 1 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes sliced paper thin
* 1 1/4 cup pinkish white part of watermelon rind sliced in 1/4 inch think pieces
* 1/4 cup onion finely diced
* 1 shallot finely diced
* 1/4 cup scallions diced
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
* Diced jalepeño to taste
* Juice from 5 limes and 1 lemon
* 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Chop cubanelle pepper,tomatoes, onion, jalepeño, shallots and scallion paper thin. Roughly chop cilantro. Combine in large bowl and set aside.
2. Cut some watermelon into slices like you typically would and then cut away the sweet bright pink portion and reserve for some other use. Cut a strip (an inch or so thick) of the light pink/transparent white portion that sits about ¼ an inch above the green rind. Refer to image in post. Chop your light pink watermelon rind into pieces about 1/4 inch thick. Add 1/2 cup rind to bowl of veggies and set rest of rind aside.
3. Clean and steam the shrimp until just pink. Remove from heat and run under cold water. Chop into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Rinse bay scallops and set aside.
4. Juice limes and lemon into a bowl. Add rice vinegar sugar and salt. Stir to disolve. Toss in scallops and shrimp. Add to bowl of veggies. Also add garlic powder and black pepper. Toss well.
5. Make sure all fish is submerged in juices, cover and allow to marinate in fridge for about 2 hours or until scallops are cooked through. (If substituting scallops with a more delicate fish, less marinating will probably be required to cook through.)
6. Once cooked through, add remaining watermelon rind, toss and enjoy!